July 27, 2015
Westwood Shipping Lines Announcement
Eastbound to USA Chassis Provision Changes
For Merchant Haulage (MH or CY delivery) Shipments
Effective: August 1, 2015.
Dear Valued Customers and Vendors,
Effective August 1, 2015, Westwood Shipping Lines (WSL) will gradually implement a revised chassis
program for Merchant Haulage (MH, also called CY delivery) shipments throughout the USA. As part of
our new chassis program, Westwood will no longer provide chassis for MH shipments.
There will be no change to the chassis provision for Carrier's Haulage (CH or door pickup)
shipments - WSL will still provide.
If truckers so desire they may use their own chassis, or contract with any of the chassis leasing
companies listed at the end of this announcement. Chassis flip charges are for the account of cargo.
A new tariff rule will be in effect starting August 1st, 2015: In summary, this rule states that if account
chooses to have WSL supply a standard chassis for their CY move in a location where WSL has
discontinued providing chassis, the Chassis Usage Charge (CUC) will be applied at $120 per chassis
unit. This rule is outlined in FMC 29 Rule 021-5 for Eastbound to USA. If CY customer chooses to have
WSL provide the chassis, the free-time for the chassis will follow WSL’s detention free time rule (7
calendar days free). After free-time expires, detention charges will apply.
In order to achieve chassis pool synergy and avoid additional operational costs (such as chassis flips or
splits) we recommend that you make arrangements with the same chassis providers that Westwood uses
in each location. WSL currently uses TRAC Intermodal for locations listed below.
Please find the implementation schedule by region below:
||Container Out-gate Date
||At Below Locations
||WSL's Current Chassis Pool Name
||Atlanta & Jacksonville
||Baltimore, Phila, NY/NJ, Mass
||St. Louis, Omaha, Kansas City
||St. Paul / Minneapolis
||Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Louisville Detroit, Nashville
||Memphis, Nashville, Huntsville
||Portland, Seattle, Tacoma
Note: For Detroit there are no changes to the current model; truckers will continue to provide their own chassis in Detroit.
- This change only applies to CY (Merchant Haulage) shipments.
- Door deliveries (Carrier Haulage) shipments are not impacted – WSL will still provide chassis.
- The tariff rule for CUC can only affect cargo received at origin on or after August 1st, 2015.
- If WSL provides a chassis for a CY move, the chassis receives seven (7) free calendar days, after which standard detention fees will apply.
- Truckers can use their own chassis or contract with Westwood’s chassis providers in each area (chassis flips are for account of cargo).
- This announcement only pertains to Eastbound cargo from Asia to the U.S. A separate announcement regarding Westbound cargo originating in the U.S. is forthcoming.
The following three companies are national chassis providers in the U.S.:
TRAC: TRAC Connect: https://www.tracconnect.com/
Flexi-Van Leasing, Inc.: FlexiDay Motor Carrier Registration: https://www.flexi-van.com/
Direct Chassis Link: https://www.dcli.com/
For further information please contact your local Westwood Sales Representative or contact Customer Service at: 1-800-621-4371.
Westwood Shipping Lines, Inc.